Monday, April 28, 2008

saving people from the fire



As I made the usual right-hand turn into our alley way with Jambo riding in my lap I noticed a blazing fire next to the shed of one of our neighbors. The flames were rising up to 8 feet high. No one was in sight. It was time for me to go into hero mode. I dialed 911. As I talked to the operator I simultaneously knocked on the front door of the home in question and was only greeted by their rodent-looking dog. After locating the garden hose and facet I sprung into action. Weaseling my way through the fence, stepping on nail-studded loose boards I systematically drenched the fire, procuring safety for hundreds if not thousands in our metropolis. Finally the firetruck arrived and those inside jumped to action. There was no heroic effort needed on their part by this time. They thanked me for serving Manhattan, KS that day. Don't consider me a hero folks. I was only doing my duty. The only regret I have is not taking more pictures to document a day in the life of Ben Deaver.

3 comments:

Carmen said...

You're my hero! Way to go!

Anonymous said...

Ben, you are a good man.

Unknown said...

I feel so privleged to be working with a local hero!