Thursday, March 23, 2006

financial wisdom?

I just got done visiting with a good friend about student loans. It seems that many young, aspiring missionary types such as Maris and I desire to pay off student loans quickly. Is this financially wise? That is my question today. If I'm paying off student loans over 10 years with an interest rate of 2.46% for example, why would I want to pay them off quicker than that? Especially when I could invest the extra money I would pay in a high interest savings account or CD or something at 4% interest. I'm just trying to think through some of the issues of stewardship surrounding the young couples of God in our society. I know that the Proverbs speak to money quite a bit as does Christ Himself. What does wisdom look like in our society? How are we to operate? Take this other example, Maris and I owe on a vehicle. We have 0% APR. It seems to me that it would be foolish to pay this off quickly even though we are in debt to Chrysler. If anyone has some insights into the financial world of the believer, please let me know. I don't want to be foolish with finances thinking I'm operating out of some sort of principle that isn't necessarily Biblical. Thoughts anyone?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Romans 13:8??? can't say I understand if this is talking about money, since it seems to be in the context of love, but it might be worth looking into