Sunday, June 29, 2008

bat in the bedroom


We have a faithful dog, two parakeets and we're gecko-sitting for a friend for the summer. We don't want a pet bat and I made that clear to our visitor last night. About a week and a half ago we were first visited by our bat friend in our bedroom. He made circle upon circle as I stumbled out of bed to put on clothes and glasses. Jambo was jumping up and down chomping her teeth together and Maris was nestled safely under the blanket. Our bat friend seemed to disappear that night. I reckon he made his temporary housing in our soon-to-be baby room as we opened that door last night to air out some staining I had done. About 5:00 am Maris wakes me as something is in our room. She also thought she heard someone playing the didgeridoo. That sound was our little bat friend circling over head once again. I stumbled out of bed again but this time I would prove to be a bit more hospitable to our little friend. Jambo and I were like Batman and Robin (of course I was Batman and she was Robin).

We invited our bat friend into the baby room and I assembled an assortment of tools for the task. I had a Maglite, broom, shop-vac extension, glove, small trash can, air soft gun and trash bag. After a few shots with the air soft gun to get our friend flying I smacked him with the frisbee and captured him with the trash can. Tomorrow he'll take a trip to the local health department to be tested for rabies. I won't even go into the fatality rate of rabies and the fact that you can't even tell if you've been bitten. At any rate, our adventures continue. Check out the picture above and the following video. The video is brief and to the point but you definitely get the picture. As a side note, "I am Legend" is a great movie...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That bat looked huge! Actually, I read somewhere that they recommend shop-vac extensions and frisbees for catching bats. And trash bags over people's heads always work well, too. Fortunately it looked like Jambo had the situation under control...

Liam said...

ONE! One bat! Ah ah ha!